As I’m sure many of you have noticed, traffic is a nightmare this time of year! Not only are people out and about doing their usual day to day business, but they are also trying to cram in their holiday shopping, visiting relatives and heading to Christmas events. It’s important to be aware of your surroundings. You must pay close attention to the road and other drivers around you, as many of them are distracted by other things (i.e. cell phone calls, texting, eating on the run, etc.). In addition, always keep your important papers, registration and insurance card, somewhere accessible in your vehicle in case you may need them. Should you be involved in an accident, keep these things in mind:
- Call the authorities immediately and notify them of the accident.
- Check on the other drivers to see if they are injured. If they are injured, be sure to notify 911 so emergency help can be dispatched immediately.
- Exchange insurance information with the other drivers. Take a picture of their licenses and insurance cards. Also take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage to vehicles.
- If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately. Your health and well being are too important so please be get checked by medical professionals.
- If there are witnesses to the accident, get their contact information because you may need it later.
- Be sure to provide emergency personnel with your health insurance information.
- As soon as you are able, report the accident to your insurance company. You are also required by law to report the accident to the state within 20 days if there is property damage exceeding $400.
If at anytime you feel like you are not being treated fairly or don’t feel comfortable dealing with the insurance adjuster, seek the advice of a personal injury attorney.
The Bond Law Firm has 50 years experience dealing with personal injury claims. Mr. Bond has tried over 100 cases in 12 different states and has worked on both sides of the aisle, so he is familiar with how insurance companies view these types of claims. Please call us at 865-770-3741 or you may email email@example.com should you need assistance with a personal injury claim.
We wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!